Teeth Grinding Wearing You Down?

TMJ GirlBruxism is the clinical term for grinding and clenching your teeth. About 80% of those afflicted with bruxism realize that they have it, but the other 20% of bruxism patients are unaware because the condition occurs while they are sleeping, in a completely unconscious state. Unfortunately, if you are one of these unlucky few, you could end up causing damage to your teeth before you even realize that there is an issue. Statistically, approximately 20% of people in the United States suffer from chronic teeth grinding. Polk City dentist, Dr. Ryan Hussong would like to tell you more about the plight of teeth grinding in patients so you are prepared if you end up with a bruxism diagnosis.

Identifying Bruxism

The most obvious symptom of bruxism is noticing yourself grinding or clenching your teeth. For sleep grinders, they may be clued in when they are afflicted with unidentified tooth pain, jaw pain, headaches, or chipped, cracked, or worn down teeth with no known cause. Dr. Hussong can generally identify bruxism based on the way your teeth appear when she examines you.

Causes and Symptoms

Tension, stress, and anxiety are often thought to be the crux of the issue when someone grinds their teeth regularly. When your muscles are constantly being clenched, they will eventually become sore, so jaw tenderness is another tell-tale sign. If you have issues sleeping, your teeth are misaligned, or you have side effects from medication, all of these things could be the cause of your bruxism. If you can identify the cause, often times this is all you need to figure out how to stop the grind. If you ignore chronic teeth grinding, you can end up with long-term pain and damage to your teeth. You can even end up with temporomandibular joint disorder (TMD). Dr. Hussong can provide you with a customized mouthguard to stop damage and help your teeth stay in correct alignment.

Restorative Dentist in Polk City

To schedule an appointment online or call Cornerstone Dental , you can reach our team at (515) 984-6001. We welcome patients from Polk City, Ames, Ankeny, Alleman, Bondurant, Grimes, Johnston, and the surrounding communities.