Enjoy Relaxed Visits
Does the idea of certain dental procedures give you that “butterflies in the stomach” sensation? Have you ever felt too nervous to schedule a dental appointment? Whether you suffer from minor to severe dental-related anxiety, Dr. Hussong may suggest sedation, so you can enjoy relaxed visits at Cornerstone Dental.
What Is Sedation?
Sedation is the use of tranquilizing medicine that assists you in achieving relaxation. A class of drugs called sedatives have a calming effect on your central nervous system, so you may remain awake and capable of communication during your visits – however, you will enjoy a state of calmness.
At Cornerstone Dental, we offer the following sedation options:
- IV Sedation: This type of sedation is administered intravenously – or directly into your vein – for the deepest form of relaxation. You will be able to respond to verbal cues during your visit with us, but you may forget some or all of your experience once the medicine wears away. Your dentist can easily increase or decrease the amount of medicine you receive, for improved predictability, comfort, and convenience. You will need a loved one to drive you home.
- Oral Sedation: In some cases, particularly for individuals with a needle phobia who do not feel comfortable with IV sedation, we offer oral sedation. Dr. Hussong will provide you with a swallow-able pill that you will take before your visit or procedure. You will also need a loved one to drive you home after oral sedation.
- Nitrous Oxide: Also referred to as “laughing gas” this solution will take the edge off of your nerves. Patients often experience a state of euphoria when administered nitrous oxide. The sedative begins to wear off immediately after your procedure, so you will be able to drive yourself home.
Sedation provides patients with a variety of benefits. Professional dental care is an essential factor in maintaining excellent oral health and a beautiful smile. For patients with a severe phobia of dental services, sedation provides the security necessary to schedule and follow through with an appointment. Other benefits include:
- Sedation may allow us to perform extensive work within one or fewer visits
- You will enjoy deep relaxation during your procedure
- Sedation may provide a sufficient analgesic effect, so patients with a phobia of needles can completely avoid the need for syringe-administered anesthetic
- Enjoying a relaxing procedure will make you more likely to feel relaxed enough to schedule future dental services
Is Sedation Appropriate For You?
Are you too anxious to schedule a visit or procedure, or do you wish for additional relaxation during your visit? If so, sedation is likely a perfect option for you. Your dentist, Dr. Hussong, will need to examine you and discuss your medical history to ensure you are in good enough health for sedation.
A Personal Invitation
You’ll find our dental office cozy and relaxing and our team accommodating. Watch DirecTV during your appointment, and afterward, allow us to treat you to a paraffin hand dip and a warm, scented neck wrap. We will make your time at Cornerstone Dental enjoyable. For cosmetic and restorative dentistry in Polk City, Iowa, contact us today. We serve families from Alleman, Ankeny, Bondurant, Grimes, Johnston, and surrounding communities.