Do you feel apprehensive when your dentist mentions the words “root canal”? Unfortunately, you’re not alone. Due to misinformation and exaggeration, many people feel nervous about this safe and often crucial dental treatment. A root canal is often the best course of action for preserving the appearance and function of your smile.
Ankeny IA Root Canal Quiz
1. True or False: A toothache can be a sign of an infection.
2. True or False: Without treatment, an infected tooth may involve extraction.
3. True or False: A root canal is a comfortable, safe procedure.
4. True or False: Your tooth will be restored with a dental crown.
1. True. When a tooth becomes infected or abscess, patients may experience a number of uncomfortable symptoms. Tooth sensitivity, toothaches, bad breath, swelling around the tooth, fever, and a foul tasting discharge are all common indicators of an infected tooth.
2. True. Over time, the infection may cause the pulp to die. The inner pulp is the nerve center of your tooth, overseeing the flow of nutrients and blood to and from the tooth. When the pulp dies, the tooth will require extraction to prevent the spread of infection.
3. True. During a root canal, Dr. Hussong will open the tooth and remove the infected tissue. The tooth will then be thoroughly cleaned and disinfected. The tooth will then receive a restorative filling.
4. True. The last step of the root canal process involves the placement of a lifelike dental crown. The crown protects the remaining tooth structure and helps prevent further decay or infection. If you have any questions or concerns about root canal, then contact Dr. Hussong today for a consultation.
Questions about root canals in Polk City, IA? To learn more about root canal therapy and hygiene, or to schedule an appointment with Cornerstone Dental: Hussong Ryan DDS at (515) 984-6001. We welcome patients living in Alleman, Ames, Ankeny, Grimes, West Des Moines, and the surrounding communities. For the latest news and insights from our practice, follow us on Facebook.