- Poor or inadequate oral hygiene
- Lack of consistent brushing and flossing
- Lack of regular professional cleaning by a dentist or dental hygienist (every 3 to 6 months)
- Systemic disease, such as diabetes and cancer
- Medications that cause gum bleeding, such as high blood pressure medications
- Fillings, caps, or crowns that don’t fit properly and trap bacteria
- Orthodontic malocclusion (misalignment, overlap, or overcrowding of the teeth)
- Active periodontal infection that causes pus and bleeding
- A fractured tooth that allows bacteria to invade the area
As you can see, there are many reasons why your gums may bleed. Almost all of these problems, however, involve plaque or bacteria that settle at the gum line. In most cases, bleeding gums, whether because of poor oral hygiene or tooth positioning, have been taken over by plaque.
The best thing you can do to protect your teeth is to visit your dentist regularly. At Cornerstone Dental, Dr. Ryan Hussong will screen your mouth for signs of decay and infection at every dental checkup and cleaning you have at his dental office. If caught in the early stages, gum disease and other oral health problems can be treated effectively, and Dr. Hussong will work with you through every step of your treatment.
Caring for your teeth properly at home is just as important as seeing your dentist routinely. Brushing twice a day and flossing and using a mouth rinse once a day are all important components of a healthy at-home dental hygiene regiment.
To schedule a dental exam and cleaning, call Dr. Hussong’s dental office in Polk City, Iowa at (515) 984-6001.